Members of the CCASN staff have deep and wide-ranging experience in developing master schedules at all levels of instruction. Our expertise includes building the capacity of school-site Master Schedule Teams as well as district-level Master Schedule Support Teams. We foster the knowledge and skills necessary to create master schedules that reflect the school/district vision for learning and teaching and enable every student to successfully complete a challenging, interdisciplinary program of study and graduate college-and-career ready. We especially support master scheduling for schools and districts implementing high quality college and career academies, Linked Learning pathways, and/or other small learning communities.
We provide guidance and expertise through all stages of the master scheduling process: Stage 1 – Planning, Design, & Preliminary Tasks; Stage 2- Pathway Program of Study Selection, Course Selection, and Tallies; Stage 3 – Building the Master Schedule; Stage 4 –Analysis, Adjustment, Distribution of Schedules; and Stage 5 –Fine Tuning, Readjustment & Assessment. In addition, we work at the district level to develop and enhance a master schedule system of support.
We tailor support to meet your needs. CCASN can help to build internal capacity for:
- Implementing an open, transparent, and inclusive master scheduling process that is consistent with philosophy (master schedule guiding principles, priorities, and goals; learning and teaching framework)
- Developing effective site-level master schedule teams and district-level master schedule support teams
- Developing a master schedule timeline, action-plan, and communications plan
- Developing/analyzing school year calendars and bell schedules
- Determining/Analyzing FTE allocations
- Designing and collaboratively scheduling interdisciplinary college and career academies, Linked Learning pathways, and other learning communities that reflect the diversity of the school as a whole
- Implementing a pathway/course selection process that supports students and caregivers in making informed choices and results in accurate tallies
- Assuring pathway student cohort purity
- Assuring common planning time for pathway communities of practice/teaching team
- Finding time for work-based learning
- Building flex time and/or flexible use of time into the schedule
- Scheduling student advisories and other forms of adult advocacy
- Supporting dual enrollment and access to advanced courses
- Implementing embedded honors/honors by exhibition
- Implementing strategies for equal access to singleton courses, especially Advanced Placement courses
- Building master schedules with reduced conflicts (building the schedule board, course placement order and strategies for placement, using the conflict matrix, etc.)
- Working with the Student Information System
- Adjusting and fine tuning the master schedule
- Analyzing and assessing the master schedule (both internal and external strategies)
- Developing and utilizing a Master Schedule Notebook
- And all other aspects of master scheduling
This website features an online Master Schedule Guide with a tremendous array of master schedule, bell schedule, and related-resources, strategies, and tools. CCASN also provides master schedule training, district and site master schedule team support, and master schedule technical assistance, resources and coaching support. If you have any questions or concerns about the master schedule process, we are here to help.
CCASN offers training and workshops to teachers, schools and districts. To learn more about our workshops, please go to our Contact page and enter your question or request.