Applied Medical English (UCCI)
This English course integrates ELA and CTE standards for the Health Science and Medical Technology pathways. Students study English in relation to health ethics, cultures, family, the individual, health care, epidemiology, careers and global communication. In California, it is UC a-g approved for area “b” (English) under the UCCI Program. Schools may adopt this course to their a-g course lists as a Previously Approved course. For more info, click here.
Curriculum Link: http://ucci.ucop.edu/integrated-courses/applied-medical-english.html Author: Spring 2010 University of California Curriculum Integration (UCCI) Institute
Expected Student Outcomes/Objectives
- Gain a broader perspective of the ethical issues in health care
- Lay the foundation for ethical decision making
- Explore social issues, current events, and trends in health care today
- Understand the development of pandemics, global actions of organizations with pandemics, differences in approaches to managing pandemics, and the impact of pandemics on different nations, particularly given differences in economic and social realities.
- Communicate, using presentation and media technology, a comprehensive genesis and history of disease within a country and the course of action taken by the responding global organization.
- Understand the controversy and public health implications of the debate over vaccinations and immunizations.
Description of Activities
Unit 1: Introduction to Applied Medical English: Ethics and Culture (9 weeks)
• What knowledge do I currently possess to make an informed decision on a current health care issue?
• How does one decide what actions to take for appropriate health care from the perspective of the culture, society, family, and individual?
• What are the ethical responsibilities and implications surrounding medical technology advancements, research, and applications in a global society
Unit 2: Health Care (9 weeks)
• What aspects of health care are crucial to a society
Culminating Activity and/or Assessment 200 word maximum
Unit 3: Epidemiology (10 weeks)
• How does geographical location and socioeconomic status affect the experience of health, disease, and prevention?
Unit 4: Communication (4 weeks)
• How do I gather, analyze, and respond to incoming global medical information to effectively communicate with others in the health care industry?
Unit 5: Careers (4 weeks)
• What do I need to consider and research when preparing for a career in the health industry?
Instructional Materials Provided
Course Description Only
Curriculum type: Course
Academic subject areas: English; Career-Technical Education
States' Career Clusters: Science, Technology, Engineering & Math; Health Science
California Industry sector(s): Health Science and Medical Technology
Duration: one year
Grade Targets: 11, 12
Levels of Expertise for CTE: Capstone/Advanced, Concentration/Skill building
Targeted Support Material: Industry Involvement
Standards Addressed: Detailed documentation of alignment with Common Core, NGSS, C3 or CTE Standards provided
Organization/Publisher: University of California Curriculum Institute (UCCI)
Curriculum Link: http://ucci.ucop.edu/integrated-courses/applied-medical-english.html
Related Website(s): http://www.ucop.edu/ucci/integ_courses.html